Tip Jar

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

House of Wood and Stone

I wrote this song about a wrongful conviction that resulted in a man spending 15 years behind bars for a crime he did not commit. The story is told from the perspective of his wife.

I will post the song to seanmcgrath.bandcamp.com soon...

Key of Am

[Am]Of all the days that [G]you were gone,
The [F]hardest ones to [E7]bear,
Where the [Am]days I'd sit here [G]on the porch,
[F]Look out on the street, and [E7]stare,
At the [Am]passers-by that where [G]holding hands,
As I'd [F]sit here all [E7]alone,
In the [Am]house you built for the [G]two of us,
A [F]house of wood and [E7]stone.


Chorus:
On the [C]day I heard you were getting out,
My [G]whole body quaked, and I heard myself shout,
As I [Am]counted down the time [G]to the day,
That [F]you'd be coming [E7]home to [Am]stay.


[Am]Of all the days that [G]you were gone,
The [F]hardest was the [E7]first,
[Am]“twenty years”, the [G]judge intoned,
And [F]all your friends there [E7]cursed.
We [Am]lurched from appeal to [G]governor plea,
But [F]nothing we tried worked a [E7]damn,
'Til the [Am]day the guilty [G]turned themselves in,
And the [F]papers towards you [E7]ran.


(Chorus)


[Am]Fifteen years of our [G]lives have gone,
And we [F]cannot get them [E7]back,
The [Am]media will hang around [G]for a while,
There will be [F]light where there was [E7]black.
But [Am]that won't last and the [G]day will come,
When we are [F]sitting here all [E7]alone,
In the [Am]house you built for the [G]two of us,
A [F]house of wood and [E7]stone.


(Chorus)

(Chorus)

No comments:

Post a Comment